Roadmap Series of online discussion events launched
Published on 15/10/2020
Karen via Flickr
The One Health Poultry Hub has launched a major, participatory online initiative. The Roadmap Series: Discussions for the Future of Poultry, People and Planet will identify and tackle key issues underpinning sustainable development from the perspective of one of the world’s most important contributors to food security – the poultry industry.
The Roadmap Series will develop a One Health roadmap through exchanges between high-level, expert panellists in fortnightly online events, as well as audience engagement before, during and after the events.
The series will aim to identify practical and equitable approaches to health security, food security and food systems that incorporate justice in human, animal, and environmental health, and contribute to the United Nations’ call to ‘Build Back Better’ after COVID-19.
Events in the Roadmap Series will be open to all for registration (on a first-come-first-served basis). Events will be recorded and the videos made available on the Hub’s website. People will also be able to contribute to the Discussions via the Slack app.
Discussions from the series, together with external contributions, will inform a set of briefing papers that review, analyse and propose strategic steps to achieve related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. The resulting material will also be made available from the website.
In countries where the One Health Poultry Hub is active, the material will contribute to ongoing country and regional level discussions and policy actions.
Roadmap Series Coordinator and global health security expert Professor Robyn Alders, a Senior Consulting Fellow with the Chatham House Global Health programme, said:
In many ways, the development of the poultry industry paralleled human development in the 20th century, both the good and the bad. We urgently need to find out what changes are required to the poultry industry, and to people’s ways of being more broadly, to bring our planet back to health in the 21st century.
This series aims to explore these questions and we will weave together diverse One Health threads to identify practical and equitable approaches to health security, food security and food systems, and justice in human, animal, and environmental health.
The first discussions in the Roadmap Series are:
- Pandemics: managing uncertainty: How can risk assessment and preparedness help prevent the next pandemic? with panellists Professor Nitish Debnath, of the Fleming Fund Bangladesh Country Grant, DAI, and chair of One Health Bangladesh, and Dr Hayley MacGregor, of the Institute of Development Studies, UK. Moderator: Professor Dirk Pfeifer.
- Disease and health through a One Health lens, with panellists Dr Osman Dar, Project Director of the Chatham House Global Health Programme’s One Health project and Professor Melissa Leach, Director of the Institute of Development Studies. Moderator: Professor Robyn Alders. 9-10am GMT, Wednesday 28 October 2020.
- Pandemics: past, present and future with panellists Heather E Quinlan, author of ‘Plagues, Pandemics and Viruses’ and Professor Stuart Reid, Principal of the Royal Veterinary College (RVC), UK. Moderator: Professor Fiona Tomley. 9-10am GMT, Wednesday 11 November 2020.
- Poultry production: keeping it safe and healthy with panellists Professor Claire Heffernan, Director of the UKRI Stunting Hub, and Dr Theo Kanellos, Director, Commercial and Strategic Alliances, Zoetis. Moderator: Professor Robyn Alders. 9-10am GMT, Wednesday 25 November 2020.
- Poultry production: keeping the customer satisfied with panellists Professor Appolinaire Djikeng, Director of the Centre for International Livestock Genetics and Health, University of Edinburgh, and Professor Christine Nicol, Professor of Animal Welfare, RVC (TBC). Moderator: Professor Fiona Tomley. 9-10am GMT, Wednesday 9 December 2020.
Keep an eye on our website and social media for details of further dates and speakers.