- Bangladesh has a population of 168m, projected to reach 202m by 2050. By 2030, approximately 45% of the population is projected to be urban
- The chicken population is just under 330m.
- Poultry farms are growing at a rate of 15% a year.
- The annual per capita poultry consumption is projected to be around 7kg in 2020 and the country is predicted to require 17bn eggs, 2m tons of poultry meat, 86m day-old chicks, and 8m megatons of feed to meet demand by 2021.
- Bangladesh’s gross domestic product (GDP) was US$274bn in 2018, with a growth rate of 7.86% in 2017-18. This is projected to increase to 8.13% for 2018-19 fiscal year.
Poultry in Bangladesh
Poultry production in Bangladesh has until recently been part of subsistence farming. It now features complex systems and is set to become highly commercialised in the future.