Accessing non-English website content
- Look out for content in other languages on the English-language pages. When available, a link to access this will be clearly indicated, e.g. “Read this page in Vietnamese.”
- In time, you will be able to use a language search to find publications in other languages (content not available yet)
Using browser translate functionality
Some browsers offer translate functions that you can use to help translate web content. While they do not offer high-quality translation, they may be useful. Below are some examples:
The official Google Translate extension in the Chrome Web Store places a button on your browser’s toolbar, but also adds a lot more functionality to the browser itself.
The extension can:
- Provide instant translation of any selected text within a web page
- Translate any typed phrase in the same way as the main Google Translate web page
- Translate entire web pages at the click of a button
It also recognises when a part of a website is not in your main language and provides a pop-up button next to it. Clicking this will show you the translation in a box on the screen.
Translating web pages in Chrome
The steps to follow are easy and straight forward as you just need to adjust your Settings once, as follows:
- Click on the three dots on the upper right corner of your browser.
- Go to Settings and scroll down and click on ‘Advanced Settings’ tab.
- Scroll down and go to Languages and click on your selected Language.
- You will see a tab saying ‘Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language you read.’
- Hit the button to the right and turn it ON and you are done. Now every time you land on a webpage with a foreign language, Google will offer you the translate option, and you can translate the entire webpage in just one click.
- Go to the webpage you want to translate, right click and select Translate to your selected language.
Translating web pages inFirefox
For translation in Firefox, you have to install the Firefox Translation extensions. Some of the most popularly used add-ons are GoogleTranslatorforFirefox or ToGoogleTranslate.
Translating web pages in Internal Explorer
Translating Web pages in Internet Explorer is made easy with the Google Toolbar. This application automatically translates Web pages displayed in a variety of languages.
Note that you must be using Internet Explorer 6 or a newer version.