Stakeholder meeting in Vietnam discusses future priorities
Published on 03/12/2021
View this page in:Vietnamese
The Hub team in Vietnam have held an online workshop with 40 key stakeholders to present the Hub’s initial results and discuss future research priorities and partnerships at country level.
Mr Nguyen Duc Trong, Vice-Director of Vietnam’s Department of Livestock Production, said:
I highly appreciated this workshop and the Hub research activities in Vietnam. I believe that these research activities will contribute well to the sustainable development of poultry production in Vietnam and towards a One Health approach.
Professor Vu Dinh Ton of Vietnam National University of Agriculture, Hub National Coordinator in Vietnam, gave an opening speech. This was followed by presentations including an overview of the Hub’s research activities in the country, research programme results to date and findings from an antimicrobial resistance study funded by the Hub’s Flexible fund. The workshop ended with an open discussion on future research priorities and partnerships.
Research priorities were discussed with the aim of:
- Increasing poultry breed quality to be resistant to diseases and appropriate for the different market segments (i.e. so they can can satisfy different consumer requirements).
- Improving policies related to livestock production, slaughtering, processing and distribution that are both specific and relevant.
- Forecasting risks and threats related to human/poultry health and marketing to prevent and control disease outbreaks and market regulation.
- Increasing biosecurity at household and backyard poultry farms.
- Strengthening the governance/management of breed, feed, veterinary drugs and banned substances in poultry production.
Participants at the event, held at the end of November, included representatives from Vietnam government organisations at national and provincial level, including from the Department of Livestock Production and the sub departments of Animal Health in Hanoi: Bac Ninh, Quang Ninh and Hai Duong. Representatives from international organisations in Vietnam, including the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Livestock Research Institution (ILRI), were also present alongside delegates from the Vietnam One Health University Network and the private sector.
- Vietnam National University of Agriculture
- Centre de Coopération Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpment (CIRAD)
- Department of Animal Health, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development
- National Institute of Animal Sciences
- National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology
- National Institute of Veterinary Research