This event featured panellists Heather E Quinlan, author of ‘Plagues, Pandemics and Viruses’ and Professor Stuart Reid, Principal, Royal Veterinary College (RVC). It was moderated by Professor Fiona Tomley, RVC and Director of the One Health Poultry Hub, and took place on 11 November 2020.
Watch the recording here:
The following is a summary of the key messages to emerge from the discussions:
- If you bet against nature, you will lose.
- Schools should educate children about pandemics, why they happen and how vaccines work.
- Traditional and social media have a huge role in guiding people’s perceptions of epidemics and pandemics.
- Expansion of animal-derived foods will happen where population growth is greatest, and where human and animal health services are often not well developed.
- The major risk factor for pandemics? Humans …
- A One Health solution requires technical, social and institutional components to be successful.
You can add your voice to the discussion by going to the Slack workspace and the channel #pandemics-past-present-and-future.